Blog Archive

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

In honor of Shark Week: Let's learn how to draw sharks!

Last week, we learned how to draw birds properly. And boy did they ever look great!*

*like hot garbage

So now that it's Shark Week, how about we learn to properly draw sharks?

Once again, I've found some online tutorials on how to draw sharks, and I am going to use them to make some magic.

Just like last time, I'll start by drawing a shark as best I can before looking at any drawing tutorials, to see what kind of skill we're starting with:



Wow! I think we can all agree that that's a pretty great* shark! And just think -- the drawing tutorials will only make things better!

*terrible enough that I should probably kill myself

Here's the first tutorial I found on wikihow:




I followed it to the letter, and what did I end up with?

This beauty here:




Beautiful. But he doesn't look very threatening, and looks kind of more like a dolphin than a shark. Let's see if the next drawing tutorial turns out better.





This guy looks a little more menacing. Let's see if I can pull it off:


Oh. Oh dear.


Okay, so ... this one looks horrible. It looks like a whale, not a shark ... and why is the tail so small? Awful. Let's try another one.





I have a really good feeling about this one, you guys. A really good feeling.



I should not have had such a good feeling about it.


This one pretty much looks just like my original shark drawing, except the side fins are better and I learned that sharks come in two colors. I guess that's ... an improvement. Right??


Let's try one more. I just know this is going to be my moment to shine. I mean just look at how mean this motherf***er is:



This is not a shark to be trifled with. This is a shark that will eat you for sure.

How did mine turn out?




NAILED IT. HOLY DAMN. JUST LOOK AT THOSE TEETH. TERRIFYING.

Okay, so I drew all these sharks by copying tutorials, but none of that matters unless I actually learned how to draw a better shark WITHOUT a tutorial in front of me. So did I? Let's find out!

Time to draw one more shark, this time from memory. Fingers crossed that I can do this.

Here we go:



Oh my god. I should teach a class.




And just for laughs, here's an animated GIF I put together of every step in the process of drawing the scary killer shark above. You can see me copy the tutorial, and then go back and try to fix the parts that looked like poop. So you don't have to just imagine how much worse it would look if I hadn't fixed anything -- you can see it with your own eyes!


Okay this actually turned out really cool and I think I might have to make more of these.


Happy Shark Week, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment